Why you should not buy a Playstation 4 (PS4)
Please note: I am not anti Playstation. I loved my Playstation 3 (which is why I bought a Playstation 4).
While you're here, perhaps you should take a good look at the Sony Dualshock® 4 Charging Station as well. Just incase you were fooled by the name and thought it was a charging station. It's not. It's just a lump of plastic to sit your controller on!
Consider all of the points below before buying a Playstation 4 (PS4)
- It is not and can never be a Home Entertainment System unless you want to buy all your games, music and films from Sony or its partners.
- As of February 2014, a month after the UK release date, there are only a handful of games available and none of them are games of quality compared with such PS3 titles as: Grand Theft Auto IV, Gran Turismo, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, etc.
- Currently there are no 3d games for the pS4.
- There is no support for any gaming steering wheels, past and present. Need for Speed Rivals, the only PS4 driving game does not have support for any driving wheels.
- For Digital copyright reasons the PS4 has a crippled HDMI output. In short, if your TV does not have an HDMI input, you'll need to buy a new TV to use your PS4.
- Beware, the Playstation 4 has is no composite video output, no component video output, no RGB video output, no scart video output.
- If you want to stream your video collection from an external USB drive as you did with the Playstation 3, forget about it. The PS4 does not even recognise an external USB device.
- Do you want to play your expensive iTunes music collection on your PS4. Well you can't. The only music you can play is music bought through Sony.
- The biggest hit of all: Because the PS4 has is no backwards compatibility for PS3 games, your expensive collection of loved PS3 games is now so much useless plastic.
- Cynically, Sony have announced that you might be able to pay for a cloud-based online streaming service to allow you to play PS3 games on the PS4, However they will not honour the fact that you might have already own this game and, more importantly, there is no way to access previous game saves.
Oh Sony! This is no way to treat your loyal public. Shame on you.
25th September 2014
I have my old Playstation 3 and all of the old games back again. I did a straight swap with Alex. He very kindly exchanged my Playstation 4 and all the PS4 games for my old Playstation3 and PS3 games.
I will never buy any Sony products again.